If you go down the dental care aisle and feel overwhelmed, this post is for you. Sure, you know what kind of toothbrush you like best, and you’re not too picky about flossing product, but when it comes to toothpaste…you’re completely lost.
Does this sound all too familiar? Don’t worry, your dentist in Richardson is here to help!
Consider These Things Before Choosing Your Toothpaste
An important thing to look for when choosing your toothpaste is a label issued by the American Dental Association (ADA). It’s a seal of approval stating that the toothpaste will effectively clean your teeth. It also states that the toothpaste doesn’t contain any damaging ingredients that could decline your oral health.
To make your dental routine more enjoyable, you should choose a toothpaste with a flavor that you enjoy. There are a variety of types to pick from including cinnamon, mint, even citrus. The more you like the taste of your toothpaste, you’re more likely to use the toothpaste consistently as directed.
Besides the flavor, you should also keep an eye out for these ingredients:
- Fluoride because it helps to prevent tooth decay by strengthening tooth enamel.
- Pyrophosphates, zinc citrate, and triclosan help to reduce the risk of tartar buildup.
- Stannous fluoride and triclosan reduce the risk of developing gum disease.
- Potassium nitrate help with sensitivity.
- Certain abrasives like modified silica or hydrogen and carbamide peroxide offer teeth whitening benefits.
You Must Also Brush Teeth Effectively for the Best Results
No matter which toothpaste you decide to select, it’s important to make sure you’re properly brushing your teeth. Here are some helpful tips to make the most out of your home dental care routine:
- Always brush your teeth for at least two times a day for two minutes per session.
- Don’t overload your toothbrush with toothpaste; you only need a pea size amount.
- Brush gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush to avoid enamel erosion.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle toward the gum line to make sure you remove plaque from around the gums.
These are the best brushing and toothpaste tips out there, but your dentist is a limitless resource for dental hygiene information. If you ever have any questions about what the best dental practices are for at home, what products will help you reach your smile goals, or how to use them, you should never hesitate to reach out to your local dentist.
About Our Office
Our Breckinridge Dental & Orthodontics office is equipped with two dental experts: Dr. Nathan Coughlin (your local orthodontist) and his wife, Dr. Christine Coughlin (your local general dentist). Both of them work together to provide comprehensive dental care that’s second to none. If you want the best dental services and advice, look no further than our office. Feel free to contact us today to schedule your next appointment.