Tooth-Colored Fillings – Richardson, TX
We Make Sure Nobody Notices You Had a Cavity
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 90 percent of adults in the United States have had a cavity. One out of every four of those cavities are left untreated, making them one of the most common chronic health problems in the nation. While those statistics make them seem like they’re a daunting oral health problems that you can’t escape, they’re actually easily preventable. With the right preventive care and proper treatment, you can keep dental decay from wreaking havoc on your mouth. At Breckinridge Dental & Orthodontics, we take cavities seriously. We also don’t want them to ruin the appearance and health of your smile, which is why we treat them using tooth-colored fillings.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Back in the day, dentists used traditional amalgam fillings to treat cavities. In fact, you’ve probably noticed them in someone’s mouth before. They’re made from a metal compound that contains mercury, silver, tin, and copper. Since then, the dental world has adopted a cavity treatment, tooth-colored fillings. These are made from a composite resin material that contains fine particles of plastic and glass. It’s a biocompatible solution that’s safe on your oral tissues and gums and can even be color-matched to resemble the rest of your teeth. Because it can bond with your tooth, it acts to rebuild the structure of it and protect it from harmful oral bacteria and further decay.
What Are The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
The most obvious benefit of tooth-colored fillings in Richardson is that they are aesthetically appealing and virtually unnoticeable. They have many more advantages than that though. Compared to amalgam fillings, composite resin ones:
- Preserve the healthy structure of your natural tooth. The metal compound used for Amalgam fillings doesn’t bond well with tooth enamel, which means that more of your natural tooth structure needs to be removed to make sure the filling stays put. Composite resin allows for a more conservative treatment option with minimal preparation of your natural pearly whites.
- Less sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures. Metal-free fillings are able to bond directly to the enamel of your tooth, blocking the nerves from tingling with sensitivity to hot, cold, and sour foods and drinks.
- Better protection against decay. Composite resin offers a stronger bond with your natural tooth because of its biocompatibility, sealing all bacteria out and preventing infections from developing.
How Are Fillings Placed?
The process of placing a filling is pretty fast, so you won’t have to worry about sitting in the chair for too long. One of our experienced dentists will numb the area of the damaged tooth and remove the dead debris. They’ll clean the area and match the composite resin to the color of your natural enamel. They’ll place the substance into the area of your tooth that has sustained decay, completely sealing it off. Using an ultraviolet light, they’ll cure the resin so it hardens. After fine-tuning and making sure your bite feels comfortable, the process will be done!
How Can You Make Your Filling Last?
Any dental restoration or treatment requires upkeep. Luckily, tooth-colored fillings are easy to take care of and don’t require any special care outside of your regular oral hygiene routine. Be sure to brush and floss daily, and don’t forget to schedule your semi-annual checkups and cleanings with us so we can make sure that your filling is still securely in place. Other than that, some additional ways you can protect your tooth include:
- Using antibacterial mouthwash.
- Limiting the amount of sugar you eat.
- Staying hydrated with water.
If your filling happens to fall out, be sure to contact our office. We take in dental emergencies and even offer appointments in the evenings and on Saturday!